According to History, the Madeleine of Commercy was born in the kitchen of the duke Stanislas Leszczynski Castel that is located in Commercy in France.
An evening of 1755, the duke gave a great reception but his cook resigned after a fight with some staff member leaving them without desert, One of the hosts, the marquise of Perrotin asked her waitress to make an original pastry for this reception. the Waitress named Madeleine Paulmier made the desert using her Grandmother recipe.
The guests loved so much this pastry that the duke decided to name it after her, that is why the name of this pastry is : Madeleine.
The Madeleines became famous from the end of the 19 century until the second world war because of “Les Vendeuses de madeleines” those women that filled their baskets of Madeleines and yelled loudly in order to sell them in the train station of Commercy. The travels were rushing to get the Madeleines before continuing their trips to Paris or other destinations.
Les Vendeuses de madeleines (Source : academie du gout)
So, today I decided to share with you the recipe of this pastry, I choose the lemon Madeleine which is the classic one and the easiest one, I hope you will try to make this easy pastry and will definitely notice the huge difference between a homemade Madeleine and the one that you get from the market.
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
- 2 eggs
- 3 Lemons zest
- Tea spoon backing powder
- 100 g flour
- 100 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix well the eggs, the sugar and the lemons zest .
- Incorporate the sifted flour and the baking powder to the previous mixture.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Poor little by little the melted butter on the previous mixture.
- Cover the preparation for 3 hours.
- Fill half of each Madelines mold, don’t fill them to the top because the Madeleines will inflate while baking.
- Bake at 392 F (200 c)form 10 mintues to 15 minutes