Today’s Pastry is the one that I call the pillow because it looks just like a pillow, under the sugar lace I hid an Algerian pastry called El KEFTA that doesn’t need to be baked.
To be honest I am not a great fan of the no-bake pastries but exceptionally I love this one, El KEFTA is basically made of two parts, a homemade almond paste outside and a stuffing that can contain Almonds, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Halva, Nutella, Madeleine…etc. So you can choose the stuffing according to your taste,
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
SugarVeil Lace Mat
SugarVeil Confectioner’s Spreader
for the almond paste:
- 200 g Almond Flour
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- knob of butter
- 2 egg whites or Syrup .
For the stuffing :
- 200 g Madeleine or Biscuit.
- 200 g chopped Walnut.
- halva (optional)
- jam or honey .
Making the Almond Paste:
- In a large bowl, sift the icing sugar, the almond and the vanilla.
- Start adding the egg whites little by little while mixing with your hand until you get a thick paste (note: if you use the egg whites, you can’t conserve the pastry for a long time so I prefer to use a home made syrup)
The homemade syrup : bring 400 g of water and 200 g of sugar to a boil for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the knob of butter in your hand and mix the almond paste until it is well incorporated.
- keep the almond paste in a plastic bag.
Making the stuffing:
- Crush the biscuit or the Madeleine with your hands and combine it with the chopped walnut and the Halva.
- add the honey or the jam to the previous mixture until it becomes thick (you should have a brown paste).
- Roll out the almond paste on a floured surface, cut it in strips (width = 4 inch / 10 cm).
- Roll the stuffing, until you obtain a sausage shape, put it in the middle of the almond paste strips then close the paste on the stuffing, roll it again.
- Flatten the Kefta with your hand and cut it into pieces (length = 2 inches/5 cm).
- In this recipe I made the sugar lace, I bought the Sugarveil, the mat and the Spreader from amazon and I just followed the steps, the sugar took time to get dry but results is incredible and I recommend it .