The Fraisier is one of the most famous French entremet, being particularly attracted by its refined and regular appearance, it was the first entremet that I made and since this day it is the entremet that I make for my friends and family.
The Fraisier is made of several layers, in the bottom comes the sponge cake (Genoise) which is the base, a layer of mousseline cream and fresh strawberries in the middle, another layer of Genoise covered by a mousseline cream, and for decoration a fondant or colored almond paste on the top.
it seems a little bit complicated to make but actually it is not, you should just follow the steps and respect the quantities, it will be straightforward !!
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies that you need :
- Two Round Cake Rings called Entremet ring (one smaller than the other by almost 1 inch) in this recipe I used a 7 inches and 8 inches rings.
- A stand Mixer or a hand mixer
- Kitchen scale
- Parchment paper
- Acetate roll
note : the acetate roll shouldn’t be higher than your rings by more than 1 cm, if it does, try to equalize it using scissors)
- Silicone Spatula
- Icing Spatula
- Cake slicer
- bain marie (water bath)
- Cooking thermometer
For the Genoise
- 150 g eggs
- 75 g flour
- 20 g cornstarch
- 90 g sugar
For the Mousseline cream
- 500 g milk
- 150 g sugar
- 80 g egg yolks
- 50 g cornstarch
- 220 g butter
- one tea spoon vanilla
For the syrup (To Soak the Genoise)
- 150 g sugar
- 115 g water
- 500 g / 1LB FRESH Strawberries (For the middle layer and the decoration)
- Fondant or Almond paste
Making The Genoise :
- On a bain marie (water bath) beat the eggs and the sugar until the temperature reaches 117 F (47 C) then remove it from heat and continue beating with the mixer until the mixture triple the size .
- Incorporate the sifted flour gradually and tenderly using the silicone spatulas until it becomes a bit thick (the dough should look like a mousse)
- To get the good size for the two layer of the Genoise you can choose either of the following ways:
a. Put a parchment paper on a baking tray, pour the dough in the 7 inches entremet circle, after cooking cut it in half lengthwise.
b. Put a parchment paper on a baking tray, draw on it 2 circles of 7 inches size, fill those circles with the dough using a pastry bag fitted with plain tip .
Making the mousseline cream:
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, the 75 g of sugar and the vanilla to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks and the 75 g of sugar, add the cornstarch and mix until smooth and free of lumps.
- Pour the heated milk on the egg yolks mixture gradually while stirring, return the mixture again on the heat for 1 minute, keep stirring until the pastry cream becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and start adding the 110 g of butter, when it is well incorporated in the pastry cream, put the whole mixture in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap on the surface.
- Refrigerate until the temperature of the pastry cream reaches 86 F (30 C).
- In a mixing bowl add 110 g of butter and mix until it becomes creamy.
- Add ¼ of the cold pastry cream to the creamy mixture while whipping, and then add the rest on 3 times.(it is best to use the Balloon whip of your stand mixer).
Making the syrup:
- Bring the sugar and the water to a boil over medium heat until it becomes a little bit thick, allow to cool.
Montage of the Fraisier
- Cut in tow pieces the strawberries that you will use to surround the entremet circle, cut the rest in small pieces and keep some of them for decoration.
- Cut the Genoise in 2 identical circles that should have the size of the smaller entremet mold, in this recipe I used the 7 inches ring (18 cm).
- Soak the Genoise with the syrup that you made in the previous step.
- Inside of the bigger entremet ring put inside the acetate roll to prevent the strawberries from sticking to the side (In this recipe I used the 8 inches circle 20 cm).
- Put in the middle of the ring the first layer of the Genoise and surround it with the strawberries like it is shown bellow.
- Put the Mousseline cream and the small pieces of the strawberries that you cut in the previous step (you can use a pastry bag but it is not required).
- Once you finish to spread the first layer of the mousseline cream, put on the top the second circle of the Genoise and cover with the rest of the cream.
- Smooth the surface with the icing spatula (your entremet shouldn’t exceed the height of the mold).
- Refrigerate for one night.
The decoration (Next Day) :
- Remove the entremet ring and the acetate roll from the Fraisier.
- Roll out the almond pastry or the Icing fondant using a rolling pin, cut an 8 inches circle.(Use the 8 inches entremet ring as a cuter)
- Put the fondant circle on the top of the Fraisier.
- Decorate as desired.