The name of the Bavarois comes from the Bavarian Cream (Crème Bavaroise) that could be made with adding gelatin and the whipped cream to the egg custard or fruits mousse.
In this recipe I chose to make the Bavaroise cream with raspberry mousse.
As a base I chose to make an Almond Dacquoise that is very tasty, you can do a Genoise instead if you like , it is really up to you.
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- Two Cake Rings called Entremet ring (one smaller than the other by almost 1 inch) in this recipe I used a 7 and 8 inches rings,
- Parchment paper
- Icing Spatula
- Acetate roll
note : the acetate roll shouldn’t be higher than your rings by more than 1 cm, if it is, try to equalize it using scissors)
- A stand Mixer.
- Silicone Spatula
- Kitchen Scale
For the Almond Dacquoise:
- 100 g egg whites
- 75g almond flour
- 75 g icing sugar
- 30 g sugar
For the Italian Meringue:
- 75 g egg whites
- 150 g sugar
- 35 g water
For the Raspberry Mousse
- 250 g Raspberry
- the Italian Meringue up there
- 10 g Gelatin or Agar Agar (6 g Gelatin = 2 g Agar Agar)
- 200 g whipped cream (Home made with Heavy cream)
For the Raspberry Mirror (the layer in the top)
- 150 g raspberry puree
- 50 g sugar
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 4 g gelatin or Agar Agar (6 g Gelatin = 2 g Agar Agar)
Making the Almond Dacquoise:
- In a large bowl, combine the almond, and the icing sugar.
- In a mixing bowl whip the egg whites while adding the sugar until it becomes a French meringue.
- Incorporate gradually and gently the first mixture into the French meringue.
- On a baking tray, put the parchment paper, place the entremet ring and pour the dough (Ring 20 cm/8 inches), if you don’t have the 8 inches ring you can draw on the parchment paper one 8 inches circle and fill it with the dough using a pastry bag fitted with a plane pastry tip.
- Bake on a preheated oven 350 F (180 c) for 10 to 15 min.
Making the Italian meringue:
- In a saucepan, bring the water and the sugar to a boil (to make the syrup).
- When the syrup reaches the temperature of 230 F (110 c) Start whipping the egg whites at Medium Speed.
- Once the syrup reaches 244F (118 c), remove it from heat and poor it on the egg whites while whipping (add it little by little and don’t stop whipping), you should have a smooth texture called Italian Meringue.
Making the whipped cream:
- Before all steps, put the mixing bowl and the beater in the freezer , After 15 minutes remove them, put the heavy cream and start whipping (the whipped cream should look like a cloud so don’t whip more than necessary, you could turn your cream to butter), refrigerate.
Making the raspberry mousse:
I would like you to notice that to have a good Bavarois, you should use either Gelatin or Agar Agar, In this recipe I used Agar Agar because I put the entremet in the fridge not in the freezer, For the entremets that need to be kept in the freezer, it is better to use the gelatin, with using Agar Agar the entremet will release water after defreezing.
- In a saucepan, dilute the Agar Agar in 1/3 of the Raspberry puree, and put it on a low heat until boiling, remove from heat and add the rest of the Raspberry puree, allow to cool.
- Incorporate the Italian meringue into the whipped cream, and then incorporate the cold raspberry mixture gradually and gently, You should get a beautiful raspberry mousse.
Montage of the Bavarois:
- Unmold the Dacquoise from the (20cm) 8 inches entremet ring or remove the parchment paper from the circle that you’ve drawn (It depends on how you made your dacquoise).
- Using the 7 inches entremet ring, reduce the size of the dacquoise from 8 inches to 7 inches (It is important to get fine edges )
- Place your 7 inches circle in the presentation plate, put the acetate roll inside the ring, it should exceed by about 1 cm.
- Put the dacquoise as a first layer and the mousse as a second layer until the top of the circle (4.5 cm), smooth it with the icing spatula and then refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, start making the raspberry mirror, in a saucepan dilute the Agar Agar in the raspberry puree, then add the sugar and the lemon juice, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, then poor the mixture on the top of the entremet (you should have 1 cm left to put the Mirror).
- Refrigerate for 1 night.
you can choose any decoration that you want, you don’t have to hide the Bavarois like I did, the original bavarois is always displayed as you unmold it from the entremet ring like we do for the naked cake.