I took this recipe from Christophe Felder’s Pastry book (Patisserie L’ultime Reference) that is called the Bible of the French pastry. Unfortunately this book doesn’t exist in English, so I try sharing with you some marvelous recipes that you can’t fail !!, actually all the recipe of Felder are really precise, the result is always the one expected, for people that want to learn French pastry Mister Felder will be the reference,
So today I chose the strawberry macaroons, one of the most famous macaroons in France, the result of the macaroons was good but the unexpected taste was the one of the Ganache, I am really satisfied by this recipe and I will use it in other recipe not only on macaroons.
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- A stand Mixer or a hand mixer
- Food processor
- Kitchen scale
- Parchment paper
- Silicone Spatula
- Pastry bag
- Plain Pastry Tip (8 or 10 mm)
- Immersion Blender
For the macaroons:
- 200 g almond flour
- 200 g icing sugar
- 5 cl water
- 200 g sugar
- 2 *75 g egg whites (about 5 egg whites)
For the strawberry Ganache
- 300 g white chocolate
- 300 g strawberries
- 30 g sugar
Making the macaroons
- In a food processor mix the almond flour and the icing sugar for 30 seconds.
- Sift the previous mixture.
- Combine 75g egg whites to the first mixture (almond flour and icing sugar) using the spatula, you will get a think almond paste.
- In a saucepan bring the sugar and the water to a boil, check the temperature using the thermometer.(it is for making the syrup)
- When the syrup temperature reaches 237 F(114 c).start whipping the 75 g of egg whites.
- When the syrup temperature reaches 246 F (119 c), reduce the speed of the mixer and start adding it little by little to the whipped egg whites mixture, continue whipping until the bowl become cool.(You will get a beautiful Italian meringue).
note: if you want to color the meringue add the color while whipping.
- incorporate gently and tenderly the meringue in the first mixture(the Almond paste), this process is really important to get a good macaroons.( it is called Macaronner in French),
- In a baking tray, put the parchment paper and draw on it small circles of around 2 inches.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with the plain tip. Pipe the macaroons into the circles that drew earlier.
- Preheat the oven to 320 F (160 C), bake for 12 m.(sometimes I bake for 15 m)
Making the strawberry Ganache
- Cut the strawberries in two pieces and combine them with sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up the strawberries and the sugar over a medium heat then mix them using the immersion blender.
- In a large bowl, filter the strawberry puree on the white chocolate, stir gently until it melts, you should get a good Ganache, refrigerate it for 3 hours.
Montage of macaroons:
- Squeeze the Ganache onto the center of a macaroons half and Top with another half and press.
- For a best taste, keep the maccaroons 1 day or 2 days (not required).
Some advises to get a good macaroons:
- If you decide to make macaroons, don’t bake or cook anything else in the kitchen.
- Don’t use silicone mat to bake macaroons, use parchment paper.
- The baking tray should be cold (room temperature).
- The macaroons should be crispy outside and mellow inside, so don’t bake them more than necessary.
- When removing the macaroons from the oven, remove them from the backing tray with the parchment paper and put them in a cold surface.(on the counter top for example).
- Keep the macaroons at least 1 day in a hermetic box in the fridge except for the macaroons that are filled with fruit.