When I was in France I used to wait for the right season to get good strawberries and make a strawberry pie,
Here in USA, I make this pie all the time because I always can find good strawberries in markets, it is really easy to do, it’s really delicious and not too caloric.
The pie is made with sweet pastry in the bottom, a pastry cream in the middle and fresh strawberries for the decoration .
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- One Round Tarte Ring (9 inches)
- Parchment paper
- Icing Spatula
- A stand Mixer
- Silicone Spatula
- kitchen Scale
For the Sweet pastry (Pâte Sucrée):
- 200 g Flour
- 120 g butter
- 80 g icing sugar
- 30 g sugar
- 40 g eggs
- 1 g salt
For the pastry cream
- 500 g Milk
- 150 g sugar
- 80 g egg yolks
- 50 g cornstarch
- 110 g butter
Making the sweet paste:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter until it becomes like a cream.
- Add the eggs and the flour using the spatula or your hand until you get a ball of dough, cover it with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.
How to mold the sweet crust in the ring ( Façonner la pâte in French):
- Butter inside the ring.
- Roll out the dough in a floured surface until it is 11 inches large or more.
- Place the ring on the table and try to put the dough inside it, cut the extra dough that exceeds the ring using the pastry roll.
- Start shaping (Façonner) the sweet pastry by pressing it inside the ring using your thumb finger (remove again the extra pastry )
- Don’t forget to sting the paste with a fork
- On a backing tray, put the parchment paper first , the ring with the sweet pastry and then an other parchment paper.
- Fill the ring with beans to prevent the sweet pastry from swelling.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 c) for 15 min .
- Remove the beans and the parchment paper on the top, and bake for another 15 min.
Making the Pastry cream:
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, the sugar 75 g, the vanilla to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks and 75 g of sugar, Add the cornstarch and mix until smooth and free of lumps.
- Add the heated milk to the egg yolks mixture gradually while stirring, put it on heat for 1 minute and keep stirring until the pastry cream becomes thick.
- Remove it from the heat and add the 110 g of butter, when it is well incorporated in the pastry cream, put the whole mixture in a bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap on the surface and then refrigerate until the temperature of the Pastry Cream reaches 86 F(30 C).
Montage of the pie:
- Place the unmolded pie in the serving plate and fill it with the pastry cream.
- Cut the strawberries in two pieces, decorate the pie starting from the middle in order to get a flower shape.
- Refrigerate until serving.
note : Try to decorate the pie shortly before serving to avoid that the strawberries release their water.