There is several ways to do the lemon pie, with meringue or without meringue, made with pie crust, shortcrust pastry or sweet pastry ( PÂTE SUCRÉE in french), this pie is really easy to make, it needs basic ingredients so I hope you will like this recipe !!.
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- One Round Pie Ring 9 inches.
- Parchment paper
- Icing Spatula
- A stand Mixer
- Silicone Spatula
- Immersion hand blender
For the Sweet pastry (Pâte sucrée):
- 200 g Flour
- 120 g butter
- 80 g icing sugar
- 30 g sugar
- 40 g eggs
- 1 g salt
For the lemon curd :
- 2 Yellow Lemon
- 12 Cl lemon juice
- 120 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g butter
For the Italian meringue:
- 75 g egg whites
- 150 g sugar
- 35 g water
Making the sweet paste:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter until it becomes like a cream.
- Add the eggs and the flour using the spatula or your hand until you get a ball of dough, cover it with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.
How to mold the sweet crust in the ring ( Façonner la pâte in French):
- Butter inside the ring.
- Roll out the dough in a floured surface until it is 11 inches large or more.
- Place the ring on the table and try to put the dough inside it, cut the extra dough that exceeds the ring using the pastry roll.
- Start shaping (Façonner) the sweet pastry by pressing it inside the ring using your thumb finger (remove again the extra pastry )
- Don’t forget to sting the paste with a fork
- On a backing tray, put the parchment paper first , the ring with the sweet pastry and then an other parchment paper.
- Fill the ring with beans to prevent the sweet pastry from swelling.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 c) for 15 min .
- Remove the beans and the parchment paper on the top, and bake for another 15 min.
Making the Lemon curd :
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar, the eggs, the juice and the zest of the two yellow lemon to a boil while stirring .
- When the mixture becomes thick remove it from the heat, filter it on the butter that you’ve already cut into cubes (use a strainer ).
- Mix the previous mixture using the immersion hand blender (it is required otherwise your lemon curd will be liquid).
note: don’t use the blender, your lemon curd will be full of bubbles, and it is not the expected results, the cream should be smooth without bubbles.
- Pour the lemon cream on the sweet pastry, let it cool in the fridge. (Use the icing spatula to smooth the lemon curd)
Making the Italian meringue:
- In a saucepan, bring the water and the sugar to a boil (to make syrup).
- When the syrup reaches the temperature 230 F (110 c) Start whipping the egg whites using the stand mixer (this meringue require a stand mixer and thermometer),
- Once the syrup reaches 244F (118 c), remove it from heat and poor it on the egg whites while whipping (add it little by little ), you should have a smooth texture ( at the end of the beater the meringue looks like bird beak” Bec d’oiseau in french”)
- Decorate your pie using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.