Today I chose to do the most classic macaroons, the chocolate macaroon, actually
there are several recipes to make these macaroons but my favorite is the one made with the Italian meringue and stuffed with a dark chocolate Ganache (I used a professional dark chocolate 70% cocoa).
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- A stand Mixer or a hand mixer
- Food processor
- Kitchen scale
- Parchment paper
- Silicone Spatula
- Pastry bag
- Plain Pastry Tip (8 or 10 mm)
For the macaroons:
- 185 g almond flour
- 185 g icing sugar
- 5 cl water
- 200 g sugar
- 2 *75 g egg whites (about 5 eggs)
- 30 g chocolate powder
For the chcocolate ganache
- 40 g butter
- 200 g heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 250 g dark chocolate ( dark chocolate 70% cocoa)
Making the macaroons
- In the food processor blend the almond flour, the icing sugar and the chocolate powder for 30 seconds.
- Sift the previous mixture.
- Combine 75 g egg whites to the first mixture using the spatula, you will get a thick almond paste.
- In a saucepan bring the sugar and the water to a boil, check the temperature using the thermometer.(it is for making the syrup).
- When the syrup temperature reaches 246 F (119 c), reduce the speed of the mixer and start adding it little by little to the whipped egg whites mixture, continue whipping until the bowl becomes cool.(You will get a beautiful Italian meringue).
- Incorporate gently and tenderly the meringue in the first mixture (the chocolate almond paste), this process is really important to get a good macaroons.( it is called Macaronner in French).
- In a baking tray, put the parchment paper and draw on it small circles of around 2 inches.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with the plain tip. Pipe the macaroons into the circles that you drew earlier.
- Preheat the oven to 320 F (160 C), bake for 12 m.(sometimes I bake 15 m)
Making the Chocolate Ganache
- in a saucepan, bring the heavy cream and the sugar to a boil then pour it on the chocolate until you get an homogeneous mixture
- incorporate the butter little by little into the previous mixture and stir well and fast (you should get a smooth ganache )
Montage of macaroons:
- Squeeze the Ganache onto the center of the macaroons half , Top with another half and press.
- For a best taste, keep the maccaroons 1 day or 2 days (not required).
Some advises to get a good macaroons:
- If you decide to make macaroons, don’t bake or cook anything else in the kitchen.
- Don’t use silicone mat to bake macaroons, use parchment paper.
- The baking tray should be cold (room temperature).
- The macaroons should be crispy outside and mellow inside, so don’t bake them more than necessary.
- When removing the macaroons from the oven, remove them from the backing tray with the parchment paper and put them in a cold surface.(on the counter top for example).
- Keep the macaroons at least 1 day in a hermetic box in the fridge except for the macaroons that are filled with fruit.