Today I will introduce you to a new kind of Algerian pastry stuffed with nuts but made also with a dough called flour dough, this dough is very easy to do and allows you to model multiple shapes.
After baking, These kind of pastries needs to be soaked in honey, because the flour dough becomes hard, I will also show you how to prepare a homemade honey or syrup that you can use in this recipe or for your own needs.
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
Pasta Maker Machine
Round Cookie Cutters
For the dough
- 400 g flour
- 90 g butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 tea spoon vanilla
- water + blossom water (100 ml of each should be enough)
- white food coloring .
For the stuffing
- 300 g chopped almond with skin
- 100 g sugar
- one lemon zest
- 2 eggs (you may use only 1 egg instead 2)
For the home made white syrup
- 1 kg Sugar
- 75 cl water
- 1 sliced lemon
Making the home made white syrup:
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil over medium heat until you get the honey texture and the color should remain transparent .(don’t cook the syrup more than necessary otherwise it will be a caramel)
Making the dough:
- In a large bowl combine the flour, the white food coloring, the vanilla and the salt,
- Melt the butter and incorporate it to the previous mixture(the butter should be cold).
- Start adding the liquid (water + blossom water) little by little until you get a thick dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap for at least one hour.
Making the stuffing :
- Combine the almond, the sugar and the lemon zest.
- Start adding the whitened egg yolks little by little while mixing with your hand until you get a thick paste (be careful when you add the egg yolks, if you don’t mix the paste it will remain hard and you will continue to add the eggs until it becomes
too liquid )
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap for 2 hours.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then use the pasta machine until the dough becomes very thin (Use the number from 0 to 5).
- Cut the dough into circle shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Roll out the almond paste (the stuffing ), cut into circles with the same cookie cutter that you used for the dough.
- Cut the almond paste circles in two identical pieces.
- Superimpose the half piece of the almond on the dough circle and fold in half.(you should have a half circle with three layer, the dough, the almond paste and another dough layer ).
- Draw lines on the surface using a knife starting from the middle.
- Close the half circles and put an almond piece in the middle.(You can use the egg white to glue the two sides easily )
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven 320F ( 160c ),
- Soak the almond shell directly in the homemade syrup while they are hot from 15 to 20 minutes, and soak them a second time in a heated syrup when the cookies becomes cold.