The real name of this pastry is “El mkhabez” which literally means “the cake that has the texture of the bread”, to be honest I don’t know why this naming!! but I am sure that the taste is far from the bread taste, this pastry is really tasty, you can make it with different ingredients, you can use almond, coconut, pistachio .. etc. but the principal ingredient remain the lemon that is present inside and in the glaze,
I keep the weights of the ingredients in grams to avoid rounding them and giving you wrong measures, I suggest you to use a scale that indicates the weight in grams.
The supplies you will need:
- Hearts Cookie Cutters
for the dough
- 250 g Almond four
- 125 g sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 big egg ( or 1 and half medium)
for the glaze:
- 1 egg white
- 1 spoon lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 g icing sugar
- Sparkle silver dust
Making the dough
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, the sugar and the lemon zest .
- Start adding the egg little by little while mixing with your hand until you get a thick paste (be careful when you add the egg , if you don’t mix the paste it will remain hard and you will continue to add the egg until it becomes too liquid )
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, Cut into heart shapes using the cookie cutter.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Making the Glaze:
- Combine one egg white, the oil and the lemon juice.
- Add the icing sugar little by little until you get a thick shiny glaze ( incorporate the sugar gently, otherwise the glaze will contain bubbles).
- Dip the almond heart in the glaze until you cover all the surface .
- keep the almond hearts one night before decoration,
- spread a sparkle silver dust on the dried glaze and decorate as you like.